Breath is an online publication dedicated to people interested in the
well being of the island of Kauai. For us sustainability is
is often called the "Garden Island". It is lush and fruitful - yet
threatened. If this island cannot be self-sustaining there is little
hope for the rest of this world.
define sustainability as:
• Using unrenewable resources no faster than they are recycled.
• Using renewable resources no faster than they are regrown.
• Restoring the variety and balance of living species.
• Enhancing the art and knowledge of human cultures.
is not, however, a means for the continuing the status quo.
have named our website “Island Breath” or “Breath of
the Island” because in Hawaiian that phrase would be...
o Ka `Aina”
Spirit, Life and Sovereignty of the Land”
fact, for many years the motto of Hawaii has been...
Mau Ke Ea O Ka `Aina I Ka Pono"
"Sovereinty of the Land
is Perpetuated in Righteousness"
will be focus on...
Peace • Environment •
Regionalism • Activism • Culture
the relation to...
• Militarism • Corporatism • Collapse • Peak Oil • Climate Change